I'm calling it Crimson Soup because the vivid red-pink hue reminds me of a gorgeous sunset.
Crimson Sunset Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 cup red onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups beets, peeled and chopped
- 3 cups sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger, peeled and chopped
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon white miso
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 lemon pepper
- 1/2 tsp seasoned salt
- 1/2-1 cup light red wine (such as Beaujolais)
- Heat olive oil in a large stock pot over high heat. Add onions and garlic, stirring frequently. When they start to brown turn heat down to medium.
- Add next 9 ingredients (through miso). Bring to a boil, then cover and cook on low for about an hour or until soft (you could also transfer them to a crock pot at this point).
- Add the spices and wine and cook for a little longer to let the flavors blend, about 15 min or so. Then puree using a stick (immersion) blender to transfer to a food processor.
- Garnish as desired - I topped mine with some goat feta cheese, but some chopped nuts or pumpkin seeds would also be nice.