What really makes them special is the addition of freshly grated nutmeg ...Mrs Goodfellow would have loved them! Everyone comments on the unique taste. I adapted the recipe from a neat little cookbook, called Recipes from the Moon, the "Moon" being The Horn of the Moon Cafe, described as Vermont's pioneering vegetarian restaurant. I changed them up by doubling the recipe, adding some regular flour and using the bar shape (let's face it, its also much easier!)
Here's the recipe:
Chunky Chocolate Chip Bar Cookies
- 2 sticks butter at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- 2 cups semisweet choc chips
- Preheat oven to 375F. Spray a 13x9 baking pan with cooking spray and set aside. Cream butter and sugars together in a large bowl until fluffy. Stir in beaten egg and vanilla until well blended.
- Sift all the remaining ingredients, except choc chips and walnuts, in a separate bowl. Add to the butter mixture and stir well. Blend in the choc chips and nuts until evenly mixed through the dough.
- Press dough into pan, using hands or buttered spoon or rubber scraper to smooth evenly if necessary.
- Bake for 15-20 min and cool on a wire rack when done. Cut into squares.