The first was the adorable bunny rolls posted by The Face and Body Spa. They were so cute and looked easy enough that I had to try them. The dough was similar to a biscuit - with ingredients such as sour cream, an egg and yeast. It rose nicely and was pretty easy to work with. I shaped them and snipped the dough with a pair of scissors to make the ears as directed. However, when they baked, they puffed up so much that the ears shrunk and they looked more like chubby mice! What I learned: next time, I will shape the bunnies using smaller pieces of dough, and also work more quickly - maybe putting one batch in the oven while working on the next instead of trying to do them all at once. I think the ones I had shaped first continued to rise while just sitting on the baking sheet waiting for the others, which contributed to the "puff" factor. In any case, I will definitely try them again, since although they looked like what my daughter would call an "epic fail," they still tasted delicious!
The other recipe that didn't work out was Easter cupcakes from the What's New Cupcake book by Karen Tack and Alan Richardson that my daughter and I use over and over. As per the recipe directions, you are supposed to melt various colored Wilton chocolate melts and "paint" the inside of plastic Easter eggs, let them harden, then carefully remove the chocolate "shells." These are filled with jelly beans and then placed on top of green iced cupcakes (to simulate grass) and topped with flattened gumdrop ribbons and flowers. As is the case with all their cupcakes, they are creative, beautiful and edible! However, I couldn't source the required Wilton melting candy in time so I bought Baker's white chocolate and added some food color after melting. This seemed to work ok, but after letting them harden, the chocolate didn't detach from the shells properly. Perhaps I didn't oil the inside of the eggs enough, or maybe I didn't paint a thick enough layer of chocolate (this is what my daughter and I thought likely happened); OR maybe using the wrong chocolate was the main factor. No matter, they didn't work, so I had to come up with another scenario. I already had the green frosting and jelly beans so I thought to make mini-nests out of melted marshmallows and Special K cereal (like rice krispies treats) to sit on top of the cupcakes. I had made these type of "Easter nests" before - you basically just make melt some butter and marshmallows on the stove over low heat and then add rice cereal or even La Choy Chow Mein Noodles (which really look like twigs). Butter your hands and a cupcake tin and shape the mixture into the cupcake holders. For yesterday, I used a mini cupcake tin so the nests would sit nicely on top of the cupcakes. After frosting them with the green icing, I took a spreading knife and made little cuts then swirled the icing up a little to make it look more like grass, then sprinkled on some sugar candy decorating flowers before topping with the nests. In each one I was able to fit two speckled jelly beans. I frosted the other cupcakes with plain white and colored decorating sugar. So this failure wasn't a total dud ... and I WILL try to make the chocolate eggs again next year. But at least I know I have a backup if they fail again!