I even made the green beans paired with this recipe - equally yummy!
Greek Chicken Bread Salad
- 3 ounces cubed French bread baguette, crust removed
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 cup sliced red bell pepper (about 1 large)
- 1/2 cup sliced pepperoncini peppers
- 1.5 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (about 1/3 cup)
- 1. Preheat broiler to high.
- 2. Place baguette cubes on a baking sheet; coat with cooking spray. Broil 2 minutes or until edges are browned, turning once.
- 3. Reduce oven temperature to 425°.
- 4. Combine oregano and next 5 ingredients (through crushed red pepper) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk; set aside.
- 5. Heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat; coat pan with cooking spray. Sprinkle chicken evenly with black pepper and salt. Place chicken in pan; cook 4 minutes on each side or until browned. Place pan in oven, and bake at 425° for 10 minutes or until chicken is done. Remove pan from oven. Let chicken stand 5 minutes; slice thinly across the grain.
- 6. Add bread cubes, lettuce, bell pepper, pepperoncini peppers, and feta to bowl with oregano mixture; toss well. Place about 1 1/3 cups salad on each of 4 plates. Top each serving with about 3 ounces chicken.